Thursday 18 June 2009

age of doubt...


just how much of a spill-over should we allow between our personal and professional lives...? I am not talking about workplace romances but rather about workplace catastrophes eating away at our sanity on a daily basis. I constantly find myself listening to or talking about disaster scenarios at work and I wish I could say it leaves me unaffected. I long for those days when work stopped at around 17:30 and it did not cross my mind until 14 hours later.

Naturally things progress and people change along with their responsibilities but I was at the supermarket last night trying to choose the best tomatoes when I realized I was not even thinking about tomatoes I was thinking about work and a client we lost. And it was not the first time either. One of my best friends is having her endurance tested daily by her boss who does not approve her "lack of enthusiasm". Another friend was recently fired and yet another is between jobs trying to make ends meet. So we work to live or live to work? Why can't we just live and work... ? I am not suggesting we completely separate those two states but we have to somehow rebuild those barriers that will not allow us to feel guilty if we leave earlier than 18:30...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

There is not much to say that is not covered in my posts... this blog was created because, well because writing has been a passion of mine and communicating is high up there on the list too...